Assurant Product Protection Global FAQs
What is a protection plan?
A protection plan is a service contract which is an easy and affordable way to repair or replace your most valuable and most important purchases. Our plans cover many categories including jewelry, electronics, home appliances and many other household items that can be expensive and inconvenient to repair. Our protection plans cover mechanical breakdown and, if purchased, accidental damage such as drops and spills, and product defects and specific damages for items such as jewelry. We make it simple and convenient to get your item repaired or replaced and get your life back to normal.
Please see terms and conditions for full details of coverage, limitations and exclusions.
Aren't my devices already covered under my manufacturer's warranty?
In most instances, yes, your manufacturer's original warranty covers your purchase for mechanical breakdown for a period of up to 12 months (1 year). The manufacturer's original warranty doesn't cover accidental damages - like drops and spills or other extras like power surge protection. With the Assurant Protection Plan, your purchases can be protected from mechanical breakdown from one to five years and on certain products you can be covered for accidental damage, power surge or food spoilage too (depending on the item being covered and amount of coverage you purchase).
Aren't my devices already covered by my homeowner's or renter's insurance?
A homeowner's insurance policy typically only covers losses due to specific perils such as fire, theft, or wind damage. Accidental damages or mechanical breakdown are rarely covered. Even if the item is covered, you will most likely have to pay a deductible depending on your specific policy. Not only is this an expensive way to cover the repair and / or replacement of major purchases, it also takes more time and can be a greater inconvenience to you.
How much does coverage cost?
The cost of your protection plan depends on the item you are covering, its value and the amount of protection you purchase.
What products can I protect with my Assurant service contract?
Assurant provides protection plans which cover a variety of products including jewelry, mobile phones, tablets, computers, televisions, major appliances, lawn equipment and much more. Visit the product page for a full list of items eligible for coverage.
How long can my item be covered for?
Assurant protection plans range from 1 to 5 years of coverage, depending on the item being covered.
Do you have a "no lemon" policy?
Yes! Upon the fourth failure of Your Product for the same problem, we will either replace Your Product with a new or refurbished product, a gift card, or credit or provide You with an amount equal to the Retail Cost. Replacement or reimbursement will fulfill this Service Plan in its entirety.
Please see the full “No Lemon” provision in terms and conditions for details.
Am I allowed to transfer my protection plan to another person?
Yes, you are able to transfer your policy. Please see your terms and conditions.
Can I cancel my protection plan? How do I cancel it?
Yes, You may cancel your protection plan at any time for any reason by mailing a Request for Cancellation to P.O. Box 105689, Atlanta, GA 30348-5689, or by calling us toll free at 1-866-728-7181.
Will I get a refund if I cancel my Protection Plan?
Yes, we will provide a refund if you cancel your protection plan. The refund amount will be calculated using the method described in the terms and conditions, as allowed by state law.
What does my protection plan cover?
Each protection plan provides different coverage for different items. Here is a general explanation of some of the benefits you can look forward to with one of our plans:
- Mechanical Breakdown Coverage: We will cover the cost of functional parts and labor to repair an item that has failed from a mechanical breakdown. Coverage begins 31 days after purchase of your product.
- Accidental Damage Coverage: Day 1 coverage as a result of handling, drops and liquid spills for portable consumer electronics, such as cameras, laptops, tablets, mobile devices, wearables; home improvement products; lawn and garden; sports and fitness equipment; home theatre products; personal care products; and televisions.
- Computer Help: Call our toll-free number [866-728-7181] for technical assistance.
- Jewelry: Covered repairs include soldering, re-tipping of prongs, repairing prongs and mountings, rhodium plating, resetting stones, pearl restringing, kinks or knots, gouges, and scratches.
- Watches: For watches we provide two different types of coverage: Standard coverage (for watches under $500), that covers movement and damage from water on those items rated as waterproof and Enhanced (for watches over $500) that covers broken stems, crystals, crowns, straps, bracelets, bezels and cosmetic damages plus what is covered under the Standard plan.
For more information on the coverages included in your Protection Plan, please review the terms and conditions.
Am I covered for drops and spills?
Yes, we provide Day 1 accidental damage coverage as a result of handling, drops, and liquid spills for portable consumer electronics, such as cameras, laptops, tablets, mobile devices, wearables; home improvement products; lawn and garden; sports and fitness equipment; home theater products; personal care products; and televisions.
Once I've purchased my plan, when does my coverage begin?
Mechanical Breakdown coverage begins 31 days after purchase of your product. All other coverages, such as Accidental Damage (if included), begins on day 1.
Will you cover food loss if my refrigerator breaks?
Yes - during your coverage term, you'll be reimbursed for up to $100 worth of spoiled food for each appliance that suffers a covered failure, such as a "no-cool" event.
Are cosmetic damages covered?
No - cosmetic damages aren't covered, except for coverage on watches over $500 retail cost.
What isn't covered?
Our protection plans don’t cover:
- Cosmetic damage that doesn't affect the functionality of your electronic devices except for watches (over $500 retail cost), with certain limitations. For more information, please see terms and conditions.
- Acts of God
- Improper Installation or Adjustments
- Pre-existing damage
- Intentional damage
- Theft, burglary and mysterious disappearance (loss)
- Failure of damage from exposure to weather conditions
- Corrosion or rust
- Consumable items
For a full list of exclusions and conditions, see the plan terms and conditions.
If I bought my item on sale, will I still be reimbursed for its full value?
We will pay for repairs, replacement or reimbursement not to exceed the retail cost paid by you for your product.
What is ineligible for coverage?
This Service Plan does not provide any service for Products used for commercial or business purposes, those used by non-profit organizations, or those used for government purposes (multi-user organizations).
See our terms and conditions for more information.
Filing A Claim:
How do I file a claim?
If you need to file a claim, call us toll-free at 1-866-728-7181. A service representative will file your claim, provide information on documentation, and, if your claim is approved, arrange for the repair, replacement or reimbursement of your purchase.
Do I have to pay a deductible?
There is no deductible for this plan.
What happens after my claim is approved?
Once your claim is approved, it will be fulfilled using one of the following three options at our determination:
- Repair: You will be required to ship your item to a repair center. If your item is too large to ship, we will schedule a repair service with a local repair technician in your area.
- Replacement: Your purchase will be replaced with a new, refurbished or recertified item of equal or similar quality.
- Reimbursement: If we cannot repair or replace your item, we will provide a settlement equal to the retail cost, not to exceed the Limit of Liability. See our terms and conditions for more information.
- The total aggregate amount we will pay for repairs, replacements, and reimbursements under this plan will not exceed the retail cost of the product.
How long does it take to get a decision on my claim?
Claims decisions are generally processed when you first call. The only exception is when we determine we need further information such as proof of purchase. Then, the claim decision time would be based upon how quickly the necessary information is provided.
If I need in-home repair for my covered device, when should I expect to have an appointment scheduled?
In-home repair service is scheduled during your initial claims call. Appointments are usually scheduled for 2-3 business days after the call, based upon service provider availability.
How can I check on the status of my claim?
To check on the status of your claim, call us toll-free at 866-728-7181. We're right here in the US and are available to answer any of your claims questions.
What is the limit of liability?
The total aggregate amount we will pay for repairs, replacements, and reimbursements under this plan will not exceed the retail cost of the product.
Who is the provider of the plan?
Plan is provided by Federal Warranty Service Corporation in all states, except FL-United Service Protection, Inc. and OK-Assurant Service Protection, Inc. All these companies operate under the trade name Assurant. This plan is only available to residents of the Continental US, including Alaska and Hawaii.
How will my plan be delivered?
By purchasing this product, you agree to receive your service contract and related communications via email. To view your documents, you must provide us with a valid email address. You also need a device with internet access, print and/or storage capability. If you do not receive your service contract within 2 business days, or would like to request a paper copy, please contact Assurant at 866-728-7181.